A Proud Pop Beams...

(Updated 3 April 05.)

Today is my son Evan's birthday (he turns 23), so I'll soon be off to Florida for a familial jubilee. Likely to make a stop in Miami to hang with Gerard (The Smack Shire, Memories of Underdevelopment), Rat Bastard (Whitesnake, The Knack), and assorted other unfortunates.

I'll post pix on return.

All reports indicate amazing weather; my mp3 player is stuffed with Cream, '73-ish Santana, '77 Saints, and David S. Ware. (And 30 or so other albs, the usual jumble of new releases and archival refurbishments... Damn this dirty laundry jones!)

TS

###

UPDATE:

Re snaps: here's a photo of Evan and me taken on March 30, 2005. There is a certain resemblance...



It was a delight to loll about the orange grove with my son. It brought back more than a few poignant flashbacks... (I used to cavort with Evan's mum there in our early 80s courting haze - her late father hated me and my music; he had a particular loathing for The Fall's Dragnet). My scion took so goddamned long to get ready (shades of his sire) that the only restaurant available to us was Denny's. As a vegan, I could eat none of their filth, but Evan tucked into a lil' slice of corporate heaven. (My black coffee was semi-hemi-demi-delish.)

I bought him the DVD of the third season of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, amongst other trifles (including Haruki Murakami's novel The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle); we bled from the force of our laugher as "The Broodwich" ambled, insensate.

Hung with GK the next day at Smack Shire HQ in Hollywood. Laid out by the pool for a few hours; the weather was, indeed, magnificent. Biz-wise, we're gearing up for the 2005 TSSR release slate, and readying a second Memories of Underdevelopment album. Later on the 1st we had a great visit with Rat at the Laundryroom on South Beach. The escapade was made sublime with the addition of lovable Schiavo simulacrum Bobby Load, a South Florida punk diehard with delectable self-esteem and "LOOK AT ME!" issues. Dined at Iron Sushi on Washington, then went to Churchill's (the dank fuckhole where TLASILA, Harry Pussy, Frosty, Kreamy 'Lectric Santa, et. al., got their first taste of audience indifference in the early 1990s) to watch the Squelchers (including Mr. Load) offend the handful of fans assembled to cheer a dire tweener Depeche clone duo.

Rained on the drive back, a last gasp of Midwestern winter. Couldn't find a java mug or Florida gator keychain with the name "Elvira" anywhere along the route. Gas prices averaged $2.29, by causal reckoning. Listened mainly to TLASILA Noon and Eternity rough mixes and Santana's Lotus poolside; switched to neue platten for the turnpike. (The Ohmresistance comp., The Distilling of Tragedy into Disposable Art, was pounding my worries into some other unlucky c*nt's head.) My father is ill, my concentration is shot, and my gal is a blue million miles distant, but still, my world is a wonder, and life is fucking great!

TS

Comments

leveer said…
Jose Chepito Areas is a percussionist who was an original member of Santana.
ommyth said…
Christ! Did I touch some kind of collective nerve with the Santana Lotus mention, or are Roe and leveer prepping for Rock and Roll Jeopardy 2006?

Color me blanched.
leveer said…
Honestly, I'm just a fool for awkwardly phrased/strange sounding sentences, like that one, which is all that is found on Snr. Areas' allmusic.com page, which I stumbled across maybe a year ago. I saw a mention of early-era 'Tana, and had to chime in with my lexi-fetish.
ommyth said…
Terry, leveer, I thank you for your immeasurable contributions. I doff my awkwardly limned cap (and donate a gallon of petrol to a charity of choice) to you, and wish you both a speedy recovery and everlasting life through the renunciation of penury. Spend, spend, spend!
leveer said…
Heh, I didn't know the comments section of a blog were necessarily the home of deep thought and verbosity.

Color me discombobulated.
ommyth said…
Me make dialogue move! Me ask blog to dance! Me friend to blog-person! You friend too? Me hit mean blog keeper! You bad, Tom! You mere Happy Mondays dancer! Mean blog man! Good leveer! Good Terry gasoline price thinking person! Bad Tom! Bad!
leveer said…
That's the spirit!
ommyth said…
Hello Andrew. It's good to see you posting again. I'm happy to know you're well. Flowers, beads, mountain streams, multi-car pileups, bass lines refuting intended squiggles.

Adult Swim? Don't watch a lot of TV these days. No time, mainly. Catch things on DVD, or via download. Through latter vector saw Squidbillies pilot; I've only viewed a few minutes of the file. Haven't seen Harvey Birdman at all, though I'd like to try at least one episode... I continue to dig ATHF, but I prefer not to develop habits or nurse fixations when it comes to media. Knowing I can d/l pretty much anything I miss on an initial airing removes me from the intended user/feedback loop. There are no consequences, only impulsive immersions.

TS
ommyth said…
Hello again Andrew. Post the link here, if you don't mind. Let's allow everyone to hear what you've been up to.

Cheers,

Tom
ommyth said…
Andrew, twelve minutes is just about right. That cadaverous yippie 1-2-3-4 shit went out with the fucking Mills Brothers. Drugs are much faster now, rendering time inert, immeasurable. Your next effort should clock in at twelve goddamned days, my friend. Ixnay on the utalbray rogpay, however. Strictly meat wagon...
ommyth said…
Andrew, we welcome any and all creations. (Cue "Ebony and Ivory," Rat!) May the flow be unfettered.

TS

Popular Posts